Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Lightning but no Thunder



The other day we were driving home and in the distance, we saw a lightning storm but heard no noise.  The song, “Same Power” by Jeremy Camp, was playing on the radio, and I felt empowered and like I had the strength to fight an army.  The words spoke to my heart, and I started calling on the power that lives in my son and me; the power of Jesus in us.  I prayed for my son J.J. like I never had before.  I prayed that the power that lives in him would trample the lies and destroy all the strongholds in his heart.  This morning as I sit here in the waiting room for my mother-in-law God spoke to my heart again.  The fact that I couldn't hear the thunder and just saw the awesomeness of the lightening storm reminded me of the verses found in
1 Peter 5:8-11 (NIV)
8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings. 10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 11 To him be the power forever and ever. Amen.

Yes, we are fighting a battle in this world, and the devil wants to destroy us, but all he can do is prowl like a roaring lion.  I remember a zoo visit many years ago, where I saw this power lion behind a thick glass enclosure and his roars muffled.  God is our protection and shield from all that tries to harm us.

When I saw the lightning storm I was in awe.  Usually, I get nervous during a storm because of the loud thunder, but there wasn’t any sound this time.  All I saw was the beauty and the power.  As we drove, I watched the night sky lite up.  The lightning bolts were constant and numerous.  What a spectacular sight.  I pictured my son and his heart as I looked at the storm brew.  I know that he is having a battle going on in his heart, and I was praying for the power of God that lives in Him to take control; and for him to let it.  Like verse ten says, “ And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.”  I know that God will restore J.J. and make him strong, firm, and steadfast.  As I wait for that day, I will continue to battle in prayer for him and put my trust in God and let his power in me give me peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment